Louisville, KY – Greater Louisville Inc. – the Metro Chamber of Commerce released agenda items for the upcoming Greater Louisville Idea Development expedition (GLIDE). The 2015 GLIDE study mission heads to Portland, Ore. The three day trip kicks off on Sunday, October 18, 2015 where attendees will study Portland’s talent attraction and bi state, regional economic development strategies.
“We keep showing up alongside Portland on top-10 lists and have even been referred to as ‘the next Portland’. There is much for us to learn about quality of place and bi-state economic development from visiting this thriving city,” said GLI President and CEO Kent Oyler. “The robust GLIDE agenda spotlights growth strategies we can bring home and includes a welcome address by Portland Mayor Charles Hales.”
Other agenda items include:
- Welcome to Portlandby Sandra McDonough, CEO of the Portland Business Alliance
- Innovation and Entrepreneurialism panel featuring the CEO of Wildfang, Emma Mcilroy, CEO of Revant Optics, Jason Bolt and President of Salt and Straw, Kim Malek
- Talent Matters – Why Portland is a Hotbed for Talent by Patrick Quinton, Executive Director of the Portland Development Commission.
- Building Bi-State, Regional Cooperation for Development discussion with CEO of Greater Portland Inc. Janet LaBar and Mike Bomar, President of CREDC
- 21 & Over Please: The Portland Beverage experience by Founder of Big Bottom Whiskey and President of the Oregon Distilling Association Ted Pappas and Founder of Bull Run Distillery Lee Medoff
Portland, Ore. is home to more than 60 breweries and distilleries and shares some of the same benefits and challenges as the Greater Louisville region. As a two-state metropolitan area, the Portland region has successfully leveraged the unique assets on both sides of their river to forge a vibrant, growing economy. A Louisville chamber sponsored delegation, known previously as the Urban Workshop, visited Portland in 1999 and resulted in such programs as the Young Professionals Association (YPAL), support for extended waterfront development and a continued push for merged government, which was realized in 2003.
For more than 15 years business leaders have participated in GLIDE. Other past destinations for GLIDE include Denver CO, Toronto, ON and Houston, TX. Last year’s trip to Charlotte was a joint venture with Commerce Lexington Inc. (CLX), designed to build on public/private partnerships and continuing regional collaboration.
The GLIDE trip to Portland is scheduled for October 18-20, 2015. Registration is open to GLI investors and members for $2,995 and includes hotel accommodations, group meals, charter flight, ground transportation and briefing materials.
GLI investors and members can register by visiting https://www.greaterlouisville.com/calendar.aspx?event=1982
For a look at the full agenda, click here.