KIPDA Is Helping Qualified Kentucky Medicare Beneficiaries Save Up to $4,000 on Prescription Drug Costs

The Kentuckiana Regional Planning and Development Agency (KIPDA), through its Social Services Division, announced this week the open enrollment period for a community outreach program covering qualified Medicare beneficiaries under the “Extra Help with Prescription Drug Costs.”  The program, covering subsidies for Medicare Part D, is administered by the Social Security Administration using new 2011 Federal higher income levels.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Social Security Administration have confirmed a higher income level amount.  “This means that more Medicare recipients may qualify for the “Extra Help with Prescription Drug Costs” program than last year,” explained Barbara Gordon, Director of Social Services for KIPDA, (found at  The agency’s activities, including this outreach, cover individuals and families over a seven-county region in North Central Kentucky.  The counties included are:  Jefferson, Oldham, Shelby, Henry, Bullitt, Trimble, and Spencer.

Qualified individuals must meet the following criteria to receive a full or partial subsidy. They must:

  • Be entitled to Medicare Part A and/or enrolled in Medicare Part B, and
  • Reside in one the 50 states or the District of Columbia, and
  • Meet the following annual income guidelines:

o   For individuals, monthly income below $1,354; and annual resources below $12,640

o   For married couples, monthly income below $1,821; and annual resources below $25,600

  • Currently participate in, or plan to enroll in the Medicare Part D prescription drug program


The best way for a Medicare beneficiary to file for Extra Help is online at  Once there, applicants will need to click on Medicare and then select “Apply for Extra Help with Prescription Drug Costs”.  The online application, known as the i2010, takes individuals through completing the process step-by-step.  A beneficiary can also complete a paper application.  To obtain the paper application (SSA-1020) call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

For more information, go to or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).  Kentucky residents can also call 502-266-5571, Ext. 154, and ask for Anne Peak, Social Services Planner at KIPDA for more information and enrollment.